IMMUNITY - 5 Ways to Keep The Flu At Bay This Winter
With dropping temps comes cozy sweaters, pumpkin spiced everything (or so it seems) and quality time with our loved ones during the holidays... and thats if we don't get the dreaded flu during it all. As the nights get colder, social calendars book up and holiday stress increases, it's important to take care of our bodies in the interim. Read on for our 5 favorite ways to shield ourselves from the winter blues and power through the season feeling amazing!
- Rest Up! Listen up busy bee, we know tis the season to go to a million cocktail parties but getting enough rest will help make sure your body can get through the season healthy and energized. Studies show that a lack of sleep can weaken the immune system, making you way more susceptible to getting sick. While sleep and rest are not synonymous, doing a little digital detox right before you hit the sheets can help cultivate more peaceful shuteye, leaving you feeling perkier in the AM. A detoxifying bath complete with epsom salt, lavender and eucalyptus essential oils can also help rid of those sniffles and sneezes.
- Spice It Up - Adding specific herbs & spices into your winter routine is an excellent way to ward off colds and boost your immune system. Ginger, turmeric, cayenne and cinnamon are our favorite, easy to use spices. We love a morning concoction of warm water, lemon (hello, vitamin C!), grated ginger, turmeric and a dash of cayenne.
- Adaptogens - Adaptogens are a category of herbs that help your body deal with, or adapt, to stressors. Many of these herbs have been used for centuries for anything for increased energy, vitality and to build a strong immune system. A few of our go-to's for the winter months are Astragalus, Holy Basil, Cordyceps, Reishi Mushroom and Schisandra. All can be found in an easy-to-take pill form at your local natural grocer.
- H20 - Like usual, hydration is key especially during the winter months when things dry up and we are less likely to opt for an ice cold water over a hot coffee or tea. Set benchmarks for your water consumption daily and add mint leaves, lemon, orange and lime to boost flavor and function.
- Nutrient Dense Food & Juice - Maintaining a plant-based, nutrient-dense diet is the easiest way to ward off flu-season and keep you energized and feeling great. Incorporating organic, cold-pressed juices into your daily routine is an easy way to receive a high dose of your daily vitamin intake while handling the stress of the holiday season. The Foundation, Root Down, The General and 8Karat are all wonderful additions to any diet throughout the winter months. (Find them here)